Work on replacing gas mains on Blossom Street and next to Micklegate Bar were completed 2 weeks ago it has emerged today.
Micklegate Bar was due to reopen to traffic today and the two lane closures on Blossom Street were also due to end.
Sources at Gas Networks are now suggesting that the closures could remain in place for another 3 weeks as the York Council is apparently struggling to coordinate carriageway resurfacing works.
An expected closure for further gas main replacement works on St Helens Road was due to start today, necessitating a bus route diversion. There is no sign of such a closure which was originally scheduled to start two weeks ago.
No updates have been issued on social media by either the Council or Gas Networks.
Road users face several more months of congestion on one of York’s main arterial routes.
We commented on Friday that it seemed that gas main works at Micklegate Bar would not be finished by todays deadline.
Further down the route gas main laying is edging forward but with no end in sight.
Work at the St Helens Road junction is due to start tomorrow.
Now the Council has said that it will also start drainage testing, cleaning and improvement works on the section from the A64 to the Askham Bar roundabout.
The work is expected to last for 5 weeks. (This is the section of carriageway which wasn’t resurfaced last year). Most of the work is expected to take place in the late afternoon or overnight.
When this work is completed, works are planned for the section between Askham Bar and Blossom Street.
The improvements are expected to cost around £5 million.
While we think that the Council is right to get as much work done, on well used roads, while traffic levels are relatively low, we are not convinced that the last years work, and this years projects, could not have been better coordinated.
Work on resurfacing part of Cornlands Road was delayed yesterday because of weather conditions. More rain is forecast for tomorrow (Thursday)
The resurfacing contractors are expected to move on to Gale Lane next week
It is disappointing to see that repairs to the verge at the junction of Kingsway West and Newbury Avenue have not been completed. The damage was caused by large delivery lorries trying to access the (now completed) bungalow building site. We expected the reinstatement to be completed before the bungalows were occupied.
Elsewhere, electrical cable works on Dijon Avenue are taking a long time to complete. This means more nuisance and inconvenience for residents living in the area who also have to put up with the mud generated by vehicles accessing the Lowfield development site.
A Council media release today confirms what many feared. The Tadcaster Road carriageway is going to be dug up again only 3 months after it was resurfaced.
The carriageway is currently in excellent condition and contrasts markedly with the condition of most other roads in west York.
But it seems that the Council jumped the gun when they undertook a £600,000 resurfacing scheme earlier in the summer.
The government announced a £5 million improvement budget in July only weeks after work on the road was completed. The government was responding to a bid that the York Council had made earlier in the year.
It is likely that taxpayers will want to know a lot more about how this blunder happened.
The Council media release issued today says,
“One of the busiest roads in York is set to benefit from a £5million government funded road improvement scheme.
City of York Council was successfully awarded funding from the Department of Transport’s Local Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund.
The funding will enable to council to improve large sections of drainage along this route which will reduce localised surface water flooding. The work includes the delivery of additional pedestrian crossings and will ensure the road is maintenance free for the next 10 years.
The authority has been proactively working with all the major utility companies, water, gas, electric, phones, to coordinate their future work. During this process it became apparent that Northern Gas Networks (NGN), were due to carry out major work in 2023. Working in partnership they have brought this work forward to 10 October 2020 ensuring minimum disruption for residents and commuters. The council works are scheduled to start in January 2021.
Cllr Andy D’Agorne, Executive Member for Transport, said at City of York Council, said:
“It’s excellent news that our bid for £5million to upgrade Tadcaster Road to reduce localised flooding has been reviewed by Government and is now in approved. This will deliver much needed improvements to one of York’s busiest routes.
“Our primary goal is to ensure these works are coordinated with utilities companies so that the level of disruption for residents, businesses and visitors is reduced as much as possible.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Wasn’t part of Tadcaster Road resurfaced earlier this year? Yes, the council bid to government for a scheme on Tadcaster Road. The council received confirmation in March that it was unsuccessful and would not receive funding. Therefore the council resurfaced a section of Tadcaster Road as it was in need of urgent repairs between The Horseshoe and St Aubyns Place. However, in June the council was then awarded the £5million funding to improve large sections of drainage along Tadcaster Road which will reduce the risk of localised surface water flooding.
Northern Gas Networks have recently informed the council they have plans to carry out major works to their service at Tadcaster Road by 2025. The council was not made aware of these works before the section of Tadcaster Road between The Horseshoe and St Aubyns Place was resurfaced earlier this year. Whilst it is not an ideal situation, the Council would rather sacrifice a small part of the works that have been undertaken already rather than risk the digging up of the major £5 million scheme in a few years’ time for the Northern Gas Networks scheme.
Ageing and outdated traffic signals at the junction of Hull Road and Osbaldwick Road are set to be replaced next month.
This is part of a scheme to help improve pedestrian access and ease congestion in the area.
The works will include replacing all the ageing traffic signal equipment, widening the traffic islands, resurfacing both the footpaths and road across the junction and parts of the Hull Road approach.
Works will start on Monday 7 September and are estimated to take around ten weeks to complete. The hours of working will be 9.30am – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday and 8am to 4pm Saturdays and Sundays.
In order for the work to be carried out safely, there will be some restrictions, including:
Reducing the speed limit from 40mph to 30mph in works areas
Closing the outbound to inbound U-turn on Hull Road, a signed diversion will be in place
Suspending the inbound bus lane from the Hull Road junction with the Grimston Bar Park & Ride to the Hull Road junction with Osbaldwick link road.
Whilst the works are ongoing the junction will be operating under temporary traffic signals. Motorists are advised to expect delays during this period. We will be managing the network to reduce delays as much as possible.
The new technology being installed will help to manage traffic in the area and enable the new systems to link direct to the council’s Traffic and Control Centre, so that Network Monitoring Officers can manage the flow of traffic better in busy periods.