The Council is planning to remodel the pedestrian/cycle crossing at the junction of Thanet Road and Kingsway West
We understand that, as part of the changes planned for the traffic arrangements on Thanet Road, the pedestrian and cycle crossing will be modified.
The proposals look to change the cycle crossing to a Toucan crossing and amend the footways to create areas of shared pedestrian / cycle space. The main changes that we are proposing are as follows:
Creation of a new traffic signal installation to form a Toucan crossing This replaces the existing cycle crossing with a parallel pedestrian crossing at the same location. The new Toucan crossing will include near sided pedestrian / cyclist red / green aspects.
- The Toucan crossing will be located on a new “bus friendly” flat topped raised table over the carriageway. This will require additional gullies for drainage to be installed.
- New shared use pedestrian / cycle areas will be formed with appropriate tactile paving, road markings and signing.
- The southern cyclist on / off carriageway sections will be re aligned to tie in with the shared use areas and new northern cyclist on / off carriageway sections will be created.
- The cycle tracks in the western verge are slightly realigned to fit in with the shared use areas.
We are surprised that changes to the present arrangements are planned. Generally the crossing works well.
Some changes should, however, be made at the junction when the lights are modernised.
- The hammerhead on Kingsway West is in poor condition and needs resurfacing
- The central bollard on the footpath link to the crossing needs to be replaced. It’s dull colour is very difficult to see in murky weather.
The plans will be available to view at the Ward Committee meeting which is scheduled to take place at the Bowling Club from 6:30pm on Tuesday