York welcomes Final Electrification Task Force report, which places the York – Harrogate and Leeds railway line in the top tier of recommended electrification schemes.
The Final report of the Electrification Task Force, created in December 2013, will determine how electrification could deliver greater economic growth in the north of England – as part of the emerging ‘Northern Powerhouse’ concept.
Thirty two routes were examined, and grouped into three distinct prioritisation tiers based on their ability to contribute to local economic plans, how they fit with other schemes, and the number of diesel kilometres of running they would replace.
The Final report is available to download at www.railnorth.org/electrification
The 12 Tier One routes are:
– Leeds to York via Harrogate
– Calder Valley (Full)
– Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington Central
– Southport/Kirkby to Salford Crescent
– Chester to Stockport
– Northallerton to Middlesbrough
– Selby to Hull
– Sheffield (Meadowhall) to Leeds via Barnsley / Castleford & connections
– Bolton to Clitheroe
– Sheffield to Doncaster/Wakefield Westgate (Dearne Valley)
– Hazel Grove to Buxton
– Warrington to Chester