Street cleansing standards take another hit
The York Council is to remove more litter bins from the City’s streets.
It is claiming that the installation of “smart” compaction bins in the City centre and Acomb Front Street has been a “success” and is now aiming to replace old style bins on a one for two basis.
The smart bins compact rubbish using solar power and are supposed to alert the Council electronically when they are full.
They have had a mixed reaction from residents and traders.
The locations where only one bin will be provided in future include:
- Copmanthorpe – near chipshop
- Foxwood Lane – corner near shops
- Tad Rd – Opposite chipshop
- St Aubyn’s Place
- Badger Hill – near shops
- Tang Hall Ln – shops
- Marygate – entrance to Museum Gardens
- Union Terrace Coach/car park
- Haxby – the village – near shops
- City Centre – Newgate Market
- City Centre – Spurriergate – near junc with High Ousegate
- City Centre – Kings Sq
- Broadway – Shops
- Blossom Street O/S Odean
Meanwhile complaints about litter drift are increasing and a petition asking for more litter bins to be provide is being drawn up