Members of City of York Council’s Executive are sending a clear message of warmth and support to EU Citizens today in a letter to all EU27 Citizens in York. The letter reminds them of the help on offer for their EU Settlement Scheme application.
About the EU Settlement Scheme
If you are a citizen of a European Union country, a European Economic Area country (Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway) or Switzerland, you and your family can apply now for the Government’s settled or pre-settled status scheme.
Settled status or pre-settled status will ensure your continued right to stay in the United Kingdom after Brexit and will ensure you continue to have the same access to healthcare, benefits and pensions you currently have.
Applications for the EU Settlement Scheme are now open and the process needs to be completed online. All EU citizens currently living in York are strongly encouraged to apply for pre-settlement or settlement status via the www.gov.uk website. The current deadline for applying is 30 June 2021 (31 December 2020, should the UK leave without a deal).
Irish citizens need not apply as their status and rights are protected under existing laws. As well as this, some individual agreements have been reached with other European countries that are not part of the EU. All details and eligibility can be found at www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families.
- Citizens Advice York will offer full help and support to applicants, including help in filling in the form and advice on issues which may arise during the application process. Call 03444 111 444 or visit the drop-in at West Offices (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 9.30 am to 12.30 pm) for help and advice with your application.
- Book an ‘assisted digital’ help session with ‘We Are Digital’ for support completing the EU Settlement Scheme online application, if you don’t have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the form:
- telephone: 03333 445675
- text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416944
- EU citizens who do not wish to send their documents by post or are not able to use the government’s ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app, can make an appointment at York Register Office to have their ID documents scanned and verified, before applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.
Call 01904 654477 to book an appointment.
Document scanning appointments are available:
- Mondays, from 1pm to 4.30pm
- Tuesdays, from 1pm to 4.30pm
Waiting times may vary and family groups are welcome to attend the same appointment.
More information is available at www.york.gov.uk/EUSettlementScheme.”