From Monday 14 August City of York Council is set to improve the Rougier Street bus stops, some of the most used in the city, with new paving and kerbs ready for a major overhaul later in the year.
The work will take place after the scaffolding which has been used to redevelop Roman House is removed. The area will then be repaved ahead of the new bus shelter being installed in October.
Unfortunately, it will not be possible for buses to stop on the Roman House side of Rougier Street whilst the scaffolding is being removed or the pavement renewed. Because of this, bus stops on this side of the road (CA-CC) will be closed for seven weeks between 14 August and 24 September.
Bus route diversions
From Monday 31st July for up to two weeks, Coastliner services will divert via Monkgate and Heworth Green to avoid possible delays due to traffic signal works in Heworth Village. East Parade and Heworth Road will not be served.
Rougier Street stops CA-CC will be closed from Monday 14th August for seven weeks during scaffolding removal and footway repair works. During this time, the nearest alternative stops will be:
- Rail Station RF-RJ for services 13 (to Copmanthorpe), 16 (to Acomb), 21 (to Colton), 24 (to Acomb), 26 (to South Bank), 37 (to Tadcaster), 66 (to Nunnery Lane), 840, 843 and 845 (to Leeds), Cityzap (to Leeds);
- Temporary stop Micklegate CL for services 3 (to Askham Bar Park & Ride) and 7 (to Designer Outlet Park & Ride);
- Station Avenue RM for services 6 (to Clifton Moor) and 181 (to Sheriff Hutton/ Castle Howard);
- Station Road CD-CE for services 10 (to Poppleton), 11 (to Bishopthorpe), 12 and 14 (to Foxwood).
Stops for services heading towards Stonebow and Piccadilly will not be affected by these works. All other stops will remain open as normal.
Stonebow stops SA, SB and SC are closed until the end of 2017 due to major refurbishment works at Stonebow House.
- Monks Cross Park & Ride (service 9) will stop on Pavement, outside M&S.
All other services will use the temporary stop closer to the Peasholme Green end of Stonebow, between the junctions with Garden Place and Hungate.
Depending on the bus route, the nearest alternative stops will be at Low Ousegate, Station Avenue, the Railway Station or a temporary stop at Micklegate. A list of bus services showing the nearest alternative stops during the closure period is available at www.itravelyork.info
Cllr Ian Gillies, the Executive Member for Transport and Planning said “The improvements at the Rougier street bus stops will help to make the area nicer for residents, visitors and bus passengers. The area will be further enhanced later in the year when the new bus shelter is installed, brining the area up to the same standard as the new stop on Museum Street.”
The work is part of the Better Bus Area Fund which has also seen improvements to the bus stop on Museum Street . Work is also set to take place to enhance the Stonebow bus interchange.