The design for a wider shared-use pedestrian and cycle bridge at Scarborough Bridge was unanimously endorsed by the council’s Planning Sub-Committee yesterday.
The new bridge will be nearly three times as wide, while the ramps at either end will mean cyclists, wheelchair users and people pushing prams will be able to use the bridge with ease. New steps connecting the ends of the bridge with the riverside paths are also to be built.
The decision means the new bridge is on track to be constructed and in use by March 2019, with its estimated £4.5m cost coming from the council; the West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s CityConnect Programme; and the York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership.
City of York Council will be improving the layout of the roundabout on Monkgate in an effort to improve safety for both cyclists and pedestrians.
Work will start on Monday 6 November and is expected to be completed by early December. Work will take place from 7am-3.30pm, Monday to Friday. To ensure that it is carried out safely there will be some lane closures during the works.
The improvements will see the approach to the roundabout on Huntington Road altered with improved crossing facilities at the traffic island. There will also be a new mandatory cycle lane on Huntington Road o enable cyclists to bypass any queuing traffic to use the off road route.
A shared use foot/cycle path will also be created on the corner of Huntington Road and Heworth Green. The width of the traffic islands on Heworth Green will also be increased to allow cyclists to use them safely.
The scheme was originally approved at an executive member for transport and planning decision session on 13 October 2016. This followed a consultation with homeowners on Monkgate and Huntington Road with most supporting the safety improvements.
As with any construction work, there is likely to be a certain amount of disruption. Residents in the affected area have been contacted directly and assured that everything reasonably possible will be done to keep this to a minimum. However, motorists should expect some delays and plan their journey accordingly.
York Police to clamp down on cyclists without lights
City of York Council and North Yorkshire Police have joined forces to relaunch a successful scheme aimed at keeping cyclists safe this winter.
As the nights draw in, officers will be targeting cyclists in York who cause a danger to themselves and others by cycling without lights during hours of darkness in the morning and evening.
City of York Council has funded high-visibility rucksack covers and small sets of emergency cycle lights, which will be offered to cyclists who are stopped by North Yorkshire Police.
Not everyone stopped by officers will be entitled to the lights – they will be handed to young people and other vulnerable people who would otherwise have to walk home if they were forced to continue their journey without lights. Officers will continue to issue tickets for cycling offences if necessary.
Inspector Lee Pointon, of York Police, said: “This scheme gives us the opportunity to make a direct and positive effect on the safety of people in the city, particularly cyclists and other road users.
“Thanks to this campaign, cyclists can be educated and sent on their way, not just with a ticket or fine, but also with the means to get home safely without causing danger to themselves or others.”
City of York Council Executive Member for Transport and Planning, Cllr Ian Gillies, said: “As the clocks go back, we still see cyclists caught out by the dark mornings and evenings. This joint initiative is running for its second year and is a real positive move to educate cyclists. I urge all those who do cycle to forward plan and ensure they have working lights that they check regularly and bright clothing.”
The campaign ran for the first time last year, and was well-received by cyclists and parents of young people who received the lights and reflective covers.
10 November 2015
Still work to do at Poppleton Bar
The York Council issued a statement on Friday claiming that work at the Poppleton Bar Park and Ride site had finally been finished – 5 months behind schedule.
But as our photos reveal, this is far from the truth with both landscaping and white lining work still outstanding. The site compound is also still in place.
Sadly the City has become all too familiar with weed growth in gutters, public spaces and even bridges around the City over the last 6 months.
However claiming a site is finished while it is still covered in 3 foot high weeds is surely a bit too disingenuous for even the Councils Labour Leadership.
It is after all the first point of call for some tourists and their impression of the City is likely to be coloured by their early experiences.
Low flying cyclists?
More seriously, from a safety perspective, is the Councils decision to encourage shared cycle/pedestrian use of the path from the A1237 underpass to the Park and Ride site.
unsegregated cycle/pedestrian path
Apart from one sign – which we suspect most pedestrians will not recognise – there is no reminder of the need to take extra care because of possible conflicts.
At the very least there needs to be repeater signs and warnings painted on the surface of the path.
At the moment, there not even a white line separation.
Organisations represented partially sighted people have been very critical about this kind of arrangement in the past.
No doubt they will be knocking on Cllr Levene’s door before very long!