The Council has said that it has now processed 766 grants totalling £738,539 for micro businesses. There is a budget ceiling of £1 million on this scheme.
It also says that it is still awaiting further guidance from the government over the discretionary grants – aimed at local businesses, small charities, B&Bs and market traders – and “we will open up applications as soon as possible”.
The houses are being built on a playing field without any accessible alternative facility being made available by the York Council.
It has also been revealed that Yorspace has still not completed the purchase of the “communal housing” development site which is located near little Tudor Road.
The purchase from the Council was due to take place in September according to an EIR/FOI response (ref. IGF/16163) published by the York Council in August. There had been some controversy over the sale, as the purchase price agreed by the Council (£300,000) was pitched at a level well below the amount being asked for other building land in the same area.
Despite this, officials say that the sale is still “with solicitors”.
NB. The Council owned access to the site from little Tudor Road is currently blocked by what appears to be an abandoned mini bus.
Local residents in Lowfields are objecting to plans to remove the railings which protect their garden boundaries.
The plan by the Council to replace the railings was first revleaed on tyhis site at the weekend.
According to their Facebook site, the Lowfields Residents Action Group is leading a campaign to get the Council to consult neighbours on their plans.
Their main concerns are about the appearance of a new fence, its impact on the natural environment, damage to existing landscaping and the money which would be wasted if the existing railings – which are in good condition – were junked.
Separately the Council has announced today that it will commence construction work on the site in two weeks time.
It is writing to residents telling them about a consultation meeting which is taking place next week and which will involve the Wates building contractors
The Residents Group has responded saying, “We think this is pretty short notice for a consultation event.
The letter includes an evasive reference to “Yorspace” who we understand are still struggling to find funding for their communal living site.
It also pointedly doesn’t admit that the Council have failed to find a developer for their proposed elderly persons care home.
Nothing more either, on the public buildings (Health Centre and Police station) which seem less and less likely now to happen.
This means that there is no chance of building work on the whole site being finished within 2 years”.
After only a few days work on site, residents are already raising concerns about the timing and scale of work being undertaken on the development at the former Our Lady’s school site.
Most concerns related to the removal of mature trees during the nesting season. It appears though that the trees removed so far are in line with the permission granted by the Planning Committee for the scheme, although confirmation of that – and any impact on bats which are known to roost in the area – is awaited.
Some work was apparently taking place on Saturday afternoon. Working hours were restricted by the planning permission.
Another issue raised was the width of the access road from Windsor Garth which is currently narrower than is normally required for access to new developments (5 metres).
Former Council Leader Andrew Waller has written to senior officials at the York Council raising concerns.
The former school buildings are due to be demolished over the next few weeks.