City of York Council has today published a draft masterplan for the Bootham Park Hospital site, following the public consultation which took place last year.
The masterplan, developed jointly between the York Council and the York teaching Hospital NHS Trust, proposes “a viable option for the development of the site, one that meets the needs of York residents by providing care accommodation, public open space, key worker housing and more”.
The key features of the plan include.
- A Nursing home included on YTHT land (part of former nurse’s accommodation site).
- Residential development aimed at the senior living market to the
east of the chapel.
- Child care nursery located on northern edge of YTHT land –
directly accessible to the York Hospital site
- The main former hospital building to be converted to extra care
apartments (potentially incorporating step down care linked to
York Hospital). Unlisted elements to be removed and a new block
built to the north east in order to provide a viable number of units.
- Unlisted and some grade 2 listed elements to the west
removed in order to accommodate a Medical Training and
Research Centre of Excellence with associated Key Worker
Accommodation (medical staff).
- A linear ‘’atrium’’ provides a main access and control point but
also visually separates the form of old and new elements.
- Landscaped area to the north redesigned to provide a semi
private garden and courtyard space in the centre of the listed
building group reinstated as landscape open space.
- Unlisted cottages off driveway entrance from Bootham removed and replaced with apartments.
- Existing listed gatehouse reinstated as residential accommodation.
- Potential café/pavilion proposed adjacent to reopened pedestrian access off Bootham.
The plan involves building on the Union Terrace car park. The coach park would be retained with a multi storey car park, constructed above it,containing 250 spaces. It is claimed that this change will improve access to the hospital site from the south and provide a better “gateway” appearance for a key route into the City centre.
The Council says, “York residents will now be invited to contribute further to the development of the masterplan, by giving their views on the proposals so far.
The Bootham Park Masterplan Consultation will launch in September 2019″.
NB. NHS Property Services have recently engaged in a failed commercial sale and continue to re-market the site.
A copy of the draft masterplan can be downloaded by clicking this link