New proposal for Castle car park development
The York Council’s Executive has tonight approved plans to site shipping containers on Piccadilly. They will form a shopping and business centre on the former Reynard’s garage site and could be there for 3 years.
Guildhall ward Labour and Green Councillors supported the proposal!
The project is subject to planning approval.
Normally residents would expect the Planning committee to throw out such an insensitive plan. They did insist that landscaping be improved around the same site when permission was granted to demolish the garage building a year or so ago.
However, the committee’s recent decision to approve a poor quality visitor centre building, at a nearby Clifford’s Tower site, means that they cannot be relied on to protect this part of the City.
The Executive’s decision means that the short term plans to use the Piccadilly site as a car park for blue badge (disabled) drivers is unlikely to be progressed.
New Castle car park development plan
New plans for the development of the Castle car park have been announced. They have been inspired by the emerging shipping container architectural movement as well as the English Heritage public convenience school of design
Prominent York residents and organisations have had their say on the plans.
- English Heritage – The vertical columns ideally complement the similar design feature on our visitor centre. The Maersk elevations offer a complex counterpoint to the Norman buttresses on the Castle. All in all, something we would be proud of.
- R Cooke (Author, Changing the Face of the City) – An impressive example of neo-Immingham brutalism. Helicopter pads should remove need for direction signs. May require some refinement and relocation to Rotterdam
- York Georgian Society – The containers are only acceptable if they have previously been used to transport molasses or slaves.
- Walter Brierley (architect, deceased) – Just a minute I need to rotate a few times
- Rachel Rascal (MP) – Hang on I’ll have to check. How big is the bandwagon of the opponents of the plan? How many wheels does the supporters bandwagon have? …….. Oh dear this is a bit difficult.
- C Steward (Con) – Ruddy liberals. mention mutual social enterprise and they’ll all over it.
- N Ayre (Lib) – It is wonderfully intrusive. A little higher and it would block out that ghastly Cathedral building.