Tickets are still available for the event, hosted by City of York Council and the York Archaeological Forum at West Offices between 10am and 4pm, which will assess prehistoric York before it was transformed by the Romans in AD 71.
Speakers at the conference will also discuss recent finds from excavations in the city including work on the site of the new university campus in Heslington which has revealed interesting aspects from York’s history.
Lectures and speakers on the day include:
- Background to Prehistoric Yorkshire – Melanie Giles (University of Manchester)
- Heslington East in the prehistoric period – Cath Neal (University of York)
- Heslington East from Iron Age to Roman – Steve Roskams (University of York)
- The prehistory of the historic city and its implications – Mark Whyman (University of York)
- Recent excavations at Monks Cross – Ian Milstead (York Archaeological Trust)
- Recent research on human remains from York – Malin Holst (York Osteoarchaeology Ltd)
Cllr Nigel Ayre, Executive Member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism said: “The Archaeology in York conference promises to be a great event looking at prehistoric York. The conference offers the opportunity to find out about York’s unique heritage and all the fascinating work that is being carried out across the city to uncover more of its history.”
John Oxley, City of York Council Archaeologist said: “York is one of the leading archaeological cities in Europe and this conference looks to bring together experts who will cast new light on how people lived and died in the York area before it was transformed into a new city by the Romans and how this information is being shared.”
Tickets for the event cost just £15, including coffee and biscuits and can be booked at https://www.yortime.org.uk/Events.York/StandardBookingProcess/ViewEventDetails?id=23271248.
Up to 30 free tickets are available for students thanks to the York Archaeological Forum. For more information on this offer students can visit https://www.yortime.org.uk/Events.York/StandardBookingProcess/ViewEventDetails?id=23271249.
Those who wish to pay by cheque are asked to send details including name, address, contact email and phone number together with a cheque for £15.00 made payable to City of York Council to:
City of York Council, YAF/CYC Conference c/o John Oxley, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA.
For more information on this event please contact email@example.com.